Sunday, September 27, 2009

The Week in Review

OK, so it's been a week since I last updated you on my adventures, and I apologize because school is now in full swing! But here is an update of the fun things I've been up to:

SUNDAY!
Today, I went for a late morning run in order to pump myself up for a day filled with reading, writing and schoolwork. As I ran along the streets of the neighborhoods making my way towards Wrigley Field (it's about a mile away from where I live), I was impressed by how packed the bars were for the first wave of football games starting at noon. I must be be a rookie--I can't imagine dragging myself out of bed, showering, being productive and drinking beer all by noon. I miss being able to watch Patriots games in my pajamas while studying.

MONDAY!
We had to write our own obituaries for a class assignment. The professor said she made us write them because it's usually one of the first assignments you get as a new reporter (that or police beats) and it would help us figure out our life plans. Then we had to read them out loud to the class. I can feel myself getting more comfortable with public speaking, I think it's a result of auditioning for the television show.

TUESDAY!
Today I navigated my way via bus to Target a couple of miles down the road. I have had a horrible time trying to sleep since I got here and thought that an egg crate or mattress pad would help. So far so good! I am not only excited about better nights of sleep, but also at how easy it is to get to my favorite store--AND there's a Dollar Tree in an adjacent plaza.. I am officially in shopping heaven. The only kicker is that I have to walk and take the bus, so I can't go too crazy... probably better for my bank account :)

WEDNESDAY!
I had class tonight. We had an in-class assignment to write a radio news story from a newspaper article and I got called on to read mine. Usually I would have turned red and panicked, but I read it with confidence... turns out he really liked my opening sentence!

THURSDAY!
I didn't leave the house today. I had big plans of maybe some grocery shopping or a trip to the bank... didn't happen. But I DID finish my cover story for the Pulse. Around 3 p.m. I got in the zone and when I looked up a few hours later, I was done. I can't wait for the November issue now so I can share the link and the story with you all!

FRIDAY!
Tonight my roommates and I, plus one of their other friends, had a Girls Night Out/In. We went to an Argentinian BYOB restaurant and the food was delicious. After finishing a couple bottles of wine (which were purchased at CVS... you can get alcohol everywhere here, even Target!), we came back to the apartment and proceeded to play Sing Star (the PlayStation version of karaoke, it's so fun!) for a couple hours. I sang (poorly, mind you) too many songs, but thankfully wasn't hoarse for my big Saturday of reporting, recording and interviewing at Oktoberfest. More on that in the next post!


That is a picture of me and my roommates out to dinner on Friday. Left to right: Laura, Katie and of course, yours truly.

That was the week in a nutshell... I promise I'll be better this week!

1 comment:

  1. love reading your blog! if the sleeping issues continue (hopefully not) i HIGHLY recommend a sound machine. i have slept better since getting one as a present. and there is no "tornado" setting, so it should be relaxing :) my faves are: ocean & thunderstorm.

    ReplyDelete