Tuesday, September 8, 2009

A Place in the Clouds...

I've seem some strange things since moving to this fine city, but one of the weirdest--and coolest things--up to this point has been the sight of which I took this picture:

Standing on the El platform, I usually have a clear view of the Sears and Hancock Towers. On Monday, clouds blew through the city and the way they came off the lake and settled around the buildings was odd. As you can see, it looks as if the Hancock is a city in the clouds, not really connected to the grounded place in which we all live. It was truly interesting and surreal to see. It was like Jack and the Beanstalk when the beanstalk goes up through the clouds, almost into a different world. It made me smile.

The only negative about this strange sight: I use the Hancock and the Sears as guides as to where I am in the city. So when I went downtown and had to find a place near the Hancock, I got a little lost. I looked up for guidance, and all I could see were clouds and white mist. I eventually found my way, and an hour later, the clouds had disappeared and the Chicago skyline was once again visible and available for direction.

As part of this growing experience, I have made it a point to try and learn something new and to take lessons from the experiences I have each day. On Monday, I decided that the passing clouds served as a symbol for my own life. Although my present and my direction may be clouded and confusing for a little bit--for hours, maybe even days at a time--like the clouds, this, too, shall pass. Eventually, the skies will clear and the present and future will once again be bright. Maybe it was a little sign from someone above that there will certainly be the bad, the sad, the lonely and the very frustrating days (like I had been having a few of recently), but everything will be okay if I just wait for the clouds to pass.

No comments:

Post a Comment