Sunday, September 27, 2009

Brats, Beer and Fun!

I sit here on Sunday, taking a break from reading and writing, to recap on my Oktoberfest adventures from yesterday.

As I mentioned before, my Backpack Reporting class requires me to create a media package on something in which I have to film video, do interviewing, an on camera bit, etc. I decided to cover the Oktoberfest festival at St. Alphonsus church, about a 10 minute walk from where I live. My classmate and friend, Audrey, came with me and helped me do the filming part. She has previous experience and already filmed hers, so she knew what she was doing and guided me through it, making it so much easier. However, I thought I would have a panic attack when we discovered we didn't have the correct microphone cord and would have to use the camera mike for everything (which is difficult to do at a festival with lots of background noise). The camera tripod was also problematic, there was a jammed screw where the camera connects, so we had to improvise.


But all went very well. Everyone was so nice and we made friends with the grilling team. They gave us some handmade brats to eat, which were absolutely delicious, and homemade tarts and some soda. They also gave us the background of the church fair and how the festival came to be. Before the festival some older German women hand make 10,000 pounds of brats and hand roll them, as well as the secret recipe potato salad and sauerkraut. I got more than I needed for my project and it was really fun.



I did my on-camera stand up in between two of the grillers at the grill holding a stein, so I am hoping my creativity will make up for my lousy camera appearance. I was shaking the stein while talking too fast, so I need some practice for sure! However, I noticed I wasn't super uncomfortable and didn't turn red like I thought I would (you heard that before!). I can already notice how this program is helping my confidence and I keep getting more and more encouraged. Now off to the editing process!


Afer I got back from filming, my roommate and I returned to the festival for some more fun. There was an awesome 80's cover band called "16 Candles" that sang the BEST 80's songs for over two hours. Such a blast!


Above are some photos from the festival: Brats and German Potato Salad (it's warm and has a sweet taste to it) and the first band to hit the stage (they have some complicated German name so I am going to leave them anonymous).

No comments:

Post a Comment