Wednesday, September 2, 2009

A Different Kind of Perspective

I think that in order to appreciate the true essence of a city, you have to experience the architecture... and the food. I did both of those tonight.

After a frustrating day of job hunting, cupcakes and drinks with a friend were just what the doctor ordered. We hit up an amazing cupcake place called Phoebe's, which specializes in making very unique cupcakes. Last week, I indulged in my first Phoebe's masterpiece: a mint chocolate Oreo cupcake. Unbelievable. Tasted just like it. Tonight, I took a walk on the lighter side, with a raspberry latte cupcake. Very good, but I was a little disappointed that they did not have their famous s'mores cupcake. Oh well, it gives me a mission to accomplish in the future!
Next stop, downtown. My friend took me to have drinks at the rooftop restaurant of The Wit, a fancy new hotel in downtown Chicago. The view was amazing; sitting on the 27th floor we were at eye level with some of Chicago's greatest buildings. When dusk turned to dark, we looked out at the buildings all lit up, complete with a view of the lake and the moon, which didn't seem all that high in the sky from our location. I've seen the Chicago skyline from the Navy Pier and a boat ride along Lake Michigan (a Navy Pier tourist attraction), and even passed it as I rode the El through the Loop, but I have never seen it like this. It was breathtaking and allowed me to think of nothing else other than the beauty I was surrounded by tonight. I did not of jobs. Or of money. Nothing. Those things, while important, don't compare the kinds of experiences I have been having in this fine city. I decided that stressing about the future--and things I cannot control-- almost ruined this opportunity I have to take it all in before school and the business of life starts back up.

Besides, if I had spent all night worried, you would have missed out on the view, too! Here is a picture I took with my phone from the rooftop (not as good as the real thing, but I wanted to try to share a piece of the excitement):



No comments:

Post a Comment