Thursday, September 17, 2009

The Ivy Tower

Today I attended a game at Wrigley Field to watch the Cubs and Brewers face off in basically what most would (and did) call a "meaningless game." I didn't care because I spent the day with a couple old friends from ESPN who were in town visiting from Connecticut, got a sunburn and finally ate a couple slices of Lou Malnati's famous pizza. Mmm. After slathering aloe all over my poor sun-kissed skin, I decided to share a couple of things I learned at the Cubs game today:

1. It has been 63,100 games since the Cubs have won the World Series. There is a banner boasting this number hanging from one of the rooftop bleacher bars outside Wrigley.

2. The nickname, "Windy City," in fact did not originate because of the city's weather. Apparently, when someone refers to the nickname in terms of the weather being breezy, that's how you can tell they are not native Chicagoans. I decided to investigate when I got home, and this is what Wikipedia said:

"Chicago has been called the 'windy' city, the term being used metaphorically to make out that Chicagoans were braggarts."

The reputation is said to have originated when the United States was pegged to host the 400th World Fair. When Chicago was chosen at the site over New York, the Big Apple was not thrilled and dubbed Chicagoans "windy," referring to their long winded nature and pride of their home, which no doubt helped them land World Fair privileges over New York by eight votes.

3. The statue of Harry Caray outside Wrigley is actually pretty creepy looking. Here is a picture for your viewing pleasure. He actually looks like another Carey (Drew, that is)... I have to credit Steph on that one!

4. There is still a live organist who plays at Wrigley Field. I decided to continue on my research kick, curious to know how many ballparks still have live organists (other than Fenway Park and both Chicago baseball teams). I discovered that not only does Wrigley still have an organist, but the Chicago landmark was the first to start the tradition. According to Ballparktour.com, "on April 26, 1941, the Chicago Cubs brought an organ into Wrigley Field as a one-day only gimmick. It went over so well however, that the Cubs management decided to keep it around and a new tradition was born - the baseball organist."

5. Cubs fans are brutal when one of their players messes up. I hope Milton Bradley used the Buddy System when he left the Field, as his little bloop mistake on a hard play allowed a couple of runs to score, ultimately putting the game out of reach for the Cubs. He was booed loudly for at least five straight minutes, cursed at and called fat. When Bradley was replaced in the game, the crowed cheered loudly. Maybe they just don't like Milton Bradley.

6. The Boo Birds also come out in full force when celebrities don't throw out the first pitch well. Poor Dennis Miller, he was harshly criticized when his toss didn't make an appearance in the strike zone.

7. Wrigley Field bleachers are General Admission seating. And probably some of the bests seats in the house. Great view, good access to home runs and outfielders who throw the balls to the fans when they're done being used. But I'm a "Bleacher Bum" (a nickname for fans who sit in the bleachers at this ballpark) anyway. I still believe that most of the game's truest fans sit in the bleachers. Or maybe I just say that because that's all I can ever afford :)

I hope that you enjoyed learning these things as much as I did. Some were actually pretty cool to find out about! Except those Boo Birds. No one should ever boo their own players! (Although I thoroughly enjoyed it when A-Rod was booed for pretty much an entire game after committing a couple errors in a Red Sox v. Yankees match up at the old Yankee Stadium). Ok, that's it for me now... time to apply some more aloe!

No comments:

Post a Comment