Tuesday, March 8, 2011

A Visit From Thanksgiving and Christmas in March

Yesterday I spent the day at our office in the suburbs. Cantigny Park was the home of our benefactor, Robert McCormick and now houses his mansion (now a museum), a military museum, gardens, a golf course and lots of lush park space.

It is also home to some wild turkeys.

I had heard about these turkeys before, we even made it out social media mascot. But I had never seen them in person.

When I head to the suburb office, I have to be out of the house by 6:30 a.m., take the L to the Metra, which then is about an hour ride to Wheaton, Ill. Needless to say, it being a Monday, and an especially early Monday, I was a little groggy. So when I was sitting in the room and turned around to see a giant turkey staring at me in the window, I was a little caught off my guard.

The two turkeys--appropriately named Christmas and Thanksgiving--kept checking up on us throughout the day. They would come right up to the window and stare in. It was kind of creepy. For some reason, I had quite the hankering for a heaping pile of mashed potatoes, some crescent rolls, sweet potatoes and... well, you get the idea.

One of the turkeys lingered outside the window through our entire lunch, causing me to develop a small case of indigestion. Thankfully I had picked the chicken sandwich over the turkey melt I had originally planned on ordering.

It was at this time that my coworkers began to engage in conversation regarding how pretty the turkey looked (I have to admit, this one had shiny greenish/blueish tinted feathers on part of his body, but I couldn't get past the stick legs and bright red gobble thing). While everyone seemed to concur that these turkeys were beautiful, one coworker dissented, saying no turkey is good-looking. Of course, I had to add my two sense, so I said:

"The only good-looking turkey is one that's golden brown and just out of the oven ready for me to eat!" They all told me I was gross and insisted I be quiet because Thanksgiving or Christmas (whichever one it was) might hear me.

While the turkey finally went away, my craving for a nice slice of white meat didn't. I'm also pretty sure I'll be getting some hate mail from PETA for this.

No comments:

Post a Comment