Friday, March 18, 2011

You're invited.. to Road Trip 2011!

Consider this your official invitation to live vicariously through my upcoming road trip!

Who: Ally is my friend from grad school. We met through a mutual friend and have gotten very close ever since.

What: My friend and I are celebrating spring break and graduation with a 10-day road trip down South and we are planning on blogging, FlipCam-ing and tracking our moves, for your entertainment.

Where: The plan is to travel from Chicago down to Memphis (for a night, long enough to eat some authentic BBQ and walk around in our blue suede shoes); across to New Orleans (where we’ll visit our mutual friend and stay for a few days); down to Jacksonville (for a night); then down to Orlando (for a couple of days. My friend Ben gave me his free Disney passes he gets for working at ESPN—we’ll use it to park hop and drink around the world at Epcot); then up to Nashville (where we will stay in a hotel downtown for the night) on our way back to Chicago. (See map to the right).

When: Well, in just a few hours! Noon Central Time to be exact. Returning next Sunday.

Why: Because we are young (said in a Pat Benatar voice) and we deserve it! I’ve always wanted to see some of these places we are going and taking a road trip has always been on my Life Bucket List. I feel like driving through a different area of the country and taking in the sights will help give me a new or refreshed perspective on life. Sometimes we spend so much time in our own little worlds, we forget that there is more to life than paying bills, 9 to 5 jobs and all of the anxiety and stress that comes along with our day-to-day lives.

How: We’ll be cruising in Ally’s 2002 emerald green Volvo S60, nicknames “Old Faithful,” OF for short. To quote her blog post: “It got its name because despite a fire extinguisher exploding underneath it and ruining the engine, OF still managed to get me from Los Angeles to Chicago in 2008. Since then, it’s overcome numerous problems like flat tires, engine failure, gas leaks, Snowpocalypse 2011, and ignition problems like a champ. True to its name sake, OF keeps kicking and gets me where I need to be.”

I’m going to try to post an update and photos daily, or whenever I have access to an internet connection, so check back often if you’d like to see how this all goes down, and how long it takes for us to kill each other ;)

1 comment:

  1. I may live in the Deep South but come on, I have Internet! AND it's wireless! Haha

    Can't wait to see y'all! Drive safely!

    ReplyDelete