Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Fig Newton's Law of Dieting

One of Newton's Law of motion reads that for every action there is an opposite and equal reaction. Or something like that ... I didn't pay too much attention in physics class. In the case of my diet adventure, there are certainly actions and lessons learned. Here are a couple.

Action: Got lots of fruits and vegetables at the grocery store after work last night
Con: 2/3 cup of peas is 70 calories?!? (groan) I feel like vegetables should count as zero calories. In fact, I should get extra calories as a reward for eating the damn things!
Pro: I know I am eating healthy snacks and some of the fruit actually helps curb my sweet tooth, which is good seeing I have a half-eaten bag of Twizzlers staring at me from the top shelf of my pantry.

Action: I saved enough calories for some low fat ice cream for dessert
Con: For the first time in my life I actually measured out ice cream. Not in the form of how many scoops I was going to be eating. I literally crammed as much Edy's slow-churned cookie dough into that 1/2 cup measuring cup (130 calories) and then carefully trickled a tablespoon of chocolate syrup (50 calories) on top to make sure the chocolate was evenly distributed. I licked the spoon to make sure I got my calories worth.
Pro: I have learned to budget my calories wisely during the day enough to be able to have dessert.
Unexpected Pro: I made sure to savor it, and it actually tasted better knowing I could only have a certain amount. When I have more, I didn't take time to taste all the flavors.
Another Unexpected Pro: It was enough for me!

Action: I didn't go over 1,400 calories yesterday
Con: I am starving.
Pro: None. I am starving.

Forget Isaac Newton. I would kill for a Fig Newton right about now.

No comments:

Post a Comment