Tuesday, February 16, 2010

So Ice-ited About the Olympics

I can't believe how into curling I was this afternoon... I thought I was tuning into hockey at 11 a.m., but that's when USA (the network, how ironic) started their Olympic coverage. Hockey started at 2 p.m. (my time).

I figured I'd watch it as background noise while I did some work, as it peaked my interest in 2006 and I did an article about it for Pulse a few years back. I actually got pretty into it, despite not really knowing what was going on. By the end, I caught on to their strategies, cheered as the men furiously brushed the ice and cursed when the Germans knocked out a U.S. stone.

In all honesty, I still don't know what's going on. But I picked out a new boyfriend on the U.S. curling team. Jason Smith... he is cuuuute (he was cuter on TV than he is in this photo).

So much for getting any work done. I've just spent the last hour researching the sport and scouring the Olympic curling schedule. (I even got five out of seven questions right in the curling quiz). Apparently each team plays 12 round robin rounds before the semi-finals and medal games are set up. Although the U.S. lost today, maybe there is still hope! I haven't figured that part out yet...but I plan on tuning in to see my new favorite curler.

Now it's time for U.S. hockey versus Switzerland. Two fun facts about hockey I also learned from taking the online Olympic quiz: hockey is the only event actually being played in Vancouver; everything else is held in Whistler. And second, this is the first year the Olympic hockey rink will be NHL size rather than International size.

Go U-S-A! I'll have plenty of boyfriends to root for in this game :)

No comments:

Post a Comment