Friday, February 12, 2010

I Am the Greatest

Sometimes when I am in certain moods, I turn to a customized iTunes playlist for comfort (for example: angry mix, nap songs, etc). Listening to music that matches a mood involves fewer calories than eating ice cream and usually works just as well (I said usually, not always).

I ended another week of class on a frustrated note. Last night I was lost in my obnoxious realm of perfection. I know it is completely unrealistic, but for some reason I think I need to get an A on every assignment I hand in. I know I don’t know everything, but for some reason I think I should. It’s unfortunate, seeing I am saddling myself with a lifetime of debt in order to get my Master’s because I wanted to... wait for it... learn.

So why can’t I just learn?

I managed to learn something this morning. Thanks in part to my iPod and its shuffled playlist, I realized it’s time to approach life in a different way.

And I have Kenny Rogers to thank for it.

Rogers, pre-facial reconstruction catastrophe, came out with “I Am the Greatest” in 1999, one of two hits from his comeback album. It is a very clever song penned by Rogers and Don Schlitz about a little boy, a bat and a ball. Although it’s about a child, there are adult lessons we can all take away. Myself included.

The best lines of the song include:

Now the little boy doesn't say a word, picks up his ball he is undeterred.
Says, "I am the greatest that there has ever been"
And he grits his teeth and he tries again.

and

He makes no excuses,
He shows no fears
He just closes his eyes and listens to the cheers.


Actually, the whole song is amazing. Read along for yourself…

Photo: In all my years playing softball, I was a better pitcher than hitter.

As I sat and listened to the words, I realized I just need to stop whining, pick the ball up and try again. The greatest athletes in the history of sport never gave up after striking out a few times, or after making an error in the field. We all go through mid-season slumps. And some of the greatest authors and scientists had rejections and failed experiments before they got it right.

Patience has never been my virtue. But like Rogers’s little ball player, I just have to keep trying. I have to stop focusing on my misses and strike outs and realize what I am doing right. Next time I strike out, I’ll just have to remember that I am the greatest at something. One day I’ll be amazed at how well I can pitch. And it will all be worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment