Saturday, February 20, 2010

A Cupcake Crusade

If you know me well (or even at all really), you know how much I love dessert. Cupcakes in particular. Since moving to Chicago, I have learned of several different creative cupcake shops that turn the simple cupcake into a masterpiece. They all put Funfetti (my personal favorite) to shame.

I tried a new cupcake place this afternoon with my roommate. After indulging in the delicious dessert, I decided it was time to share my cupcake experiences and recommendations for my fellow cupcake lovers. Cupcake connoisseur, sounds like a great second career if this whole grad school thing doesn't pan out. Take a look at my investigative work:

More Cupcakes in the Gold Coast is known for its tasty creations and has even gotten the nod from the Queen of Chicago herself, Oprah, in one of her issues of O magazine. However, I just tried it today with my roommate, as it is in the Gold Coast and I got a blog post/ assignment out of it. I got their chocolate-iest cupcake they sold (that wasn't even a word, I had to invent one to describe its awesomeness) and my roommate got the s'mores one. We both enjoyed our purchases, but weren't left begging for more.

Phoebe's Cupcakes touts on their website that they are "Chicago's Finest Cupcake" and I think they might be on to something. This was the first cupcake joint I hit up when I first moved here, thanks to a friend's personal introduction. The mint chocolate Oreo cupcake I had was to die for and the breakfast cupcake my friend got (the bottom drenched in syrup complete with bacon on top) tasted just like a piece of French Toast. We've been back again. And I salivate just thinking about my next visit.

Starbucks cupcakes stare at me every time I'm ordering a coffee. When my friends were here in January, we split the red velvet cupcake. My conclusion: these cupcakes look better than they actually taste. Although the chocolate-chocolate frosted one still calls out my name once in a while.

Coldstone's ice cream cupcakes are amazing. They even have a solid chocolate cupcake wrapper. You just can't go wrong there. Ever. One of the best inventions since toilet paper and sliced bread, and any other cliche of the like.

Still on the list to try: Molly's Cupcakes on Clark and Swirlz Cupcakes on Belden, both within walking distance from my apartment (and you better believe I will be walking there, it will make me feel less guilty as I indulge in a delicious, calorie-packed piece of heaven).

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like chocolate-iest is right up my alley. Sounds like it's worth the trip!!

    ReplyDelete