Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Observations from O'Hare

As I sit and wait for my flight home to Boston at O’Hare, I thought I would jot down a few observations. I think you might enjoy them, but I’m mostly just bored.

*People here are so friendly. I got off the El and three guys said hello to me and asked how I was, maybe because I’m a girl and they thought I was cute, but it made me smile. One of them, his name was Wilson, told me “You look so happy, can I come with you?” and preceded to walk with and talk to me until I reached the exit.

*Shocking… the Christmas decorations are up. I guess something had to replace the Olympic bid décor.

*The guy at the Garrett’s popcorn was helping me decide what size popcorn to bring home to my family. He recommended the jumbo. While I’m positive it would have gotten eaten, I’m not about to spend $17 on a bag of popcorn. My $8 medium is all this student budget can manage.

*There is a very hot and young pilot sitting across from me right now in the terminal as I write this. No wedding ring, maybe I should strike up a conversation. Ooh I hope he’s piloting my flight!

*Some man is not wearing shoes. I wonder if he is aware that you are allowed to put them back on once you pass through security…

*There is a pre-recorded message that plays over the airport intercom about every five minutes, reminding people to wash their hands. What kind of place is this? I know there are a lot of dumb people on this planet, but I would have hoped people could remember to wash their hands on their own.

*I love the moving sidewalks. They have tons of them around here. I actually got sad when I saw one wasn’t working and I had to walk on my own… look what society is doing to us! Some dumb teenagers were trying to walk backward on it; I shot them a dirty look as they were in my way. However, not even they could ruin my spirits today!!

*The hot pilot is pretending to watch the news on the TV above where I’m sitting. He scrunches his forehead like he’s focusing, but I can see right through it. Crap, he caught me looking at him. He probably thinks I’m weird now because I am laughing to myself.

*Some man just sat next to me and is eating something out of a large Ziploc bag. It’s either giant pieces of Slim Jim looking crap or steak tips. He doesn’t seem to be chewing hard enough for it to be either of those, and he’s eating it with his hands, so I’m going to go with some exotic and strange dried fruit.

*I texted my sister about the hot pilot and she just texted me back: “Wink at him.”

*I am still deciding which overpriced snack to purchase before boarding. I brought some almonds to munch on, but I need some sort of food that resembles a lunch. Most everyone sitting around me is eating McDonald’s (other than the exotic fruit man)… maybe I should ask the hot pilot for suggestions.

*I am watching the United Airlines employees chuck suitcases onto the conveyor belt that leads to the belly of the plane. One guy chucks, the other stands there to make sure the bag doesn’t fall off the belt (how considerate). A second truck pulled up and this employee is much gentler when loading the suitcases on the belt. He must not be disgruntled or union.

*I want to do donuts with the luggage go-cart.

*I opted for McDonald’s. The manager handed me my food and started talking to me, inquiring why I didn’t get “any fries or anything” with my sandwich. I told him I was saving my calories for Thanksgiving.

*I took the moving sidewalk back to my terminal.

*Hot pilot is still here. Maybe he’s a passenger. Oh please be sitting in row 32, preferably seat B.

OK, time to shut down. Boston here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment