Saturday, November 21, 2009

November Pain

I'm back! A few short hours after I wrote my last post, I woke up unable to get out of bed. I had been struck again!!! As I write this, I have officially been sick every day of this month, which is awesome:

Woke up with what I thought was a hangover on Nov. 1st which really turned out to be strep throat... got giant horse pills of amoxicillin that worked great until I took my last one on Friday morning, yes, Friday the 13th. I should have known this would not have gone well. Woke up two days later with what my doctor has diagnosed as a virus. Which means the z-pack I paid 44 bucks for had no affect and I had to sweat this one out (literally) on my own.

This second bout of illness came just in time for the last week of classes and final projects. And I thought the strep came at a bad time! I managed to get two projects done, now just one to go--an eight page paper. Doesn't sound like too much but the assignment is the hard part. I wanted to put this post up quick before I hide in Starbucks all day trying to write. I've spent WAY too much quality time in my apartment and in my bed this month.

It's a funny thing being sick and the bearer of bad germs. I noticed every time I went to talk to someone, they would take two steps back. And when I went to my professors this week in class to tell them I needed to leave early because I was sick, one of them literally gave me the Heisman, leaning back and pushing his open palms toward my face. The other also leaned back, but his eyes bulged out of his head by the time I was done speaking which was a result of--I am guessing--him trying to hold his breath as to not suck in any germs I might emit. They looked scared, both of them. It made me laugh a little but kind of annoyed. I am sick, not the walking plague! As if I feel bad enough physically already, you don't have to fall all over yourself to get out of my bubble or give me weird looks to make me feel like even worse. Jeez... as if I wanted to be there anyway.

This is surely NOT how I saw my first quarter of grad school ending to say the least. But thanks to my family and friends (and very patient editor!) who cared about me and called to make sure I was doing okay through all of this. The calls were very much appreciated and I apologize if I haven't called back or responded with a text.. I still can't talk that well because of my throat (at least I am well enough to eat something other than ramen!) I feel so bad for my roommates, especially Elli, who moved in November 1st and has probably gotten a few germs along with her first month's rent.

Thank you again to everyone, you made me feel loved and helped me during a really rough patch in which most days I felt like dying than dealing with a fever, body and head aches and not being able to swallow. I'm feeling better now and have hope that maybe by Thanksgiving I'll be able to eat something more than squash and mashed potatoes :)

No comments:

Post a Comment