Thursday, September 29, 2011

Welcome Back, Red Sox Fans

Dear Pink Hats, this is what it feels like to be a Red Sox fan. In the seven years since the Sox won their first Championship in 86 years, and then another one, not to mention collecting division titles or the wild cards most years in between, you've all been able to cheer on Boston through rose-colored glasses (good thing they match your hat).

I bet you woke up today feeling like you've never felt before as a Boston fan. Disappointed, disgusted, heart-broken. Well, this is how it felt to be a Red Sox fan every year pre-2004 World Series.

Last night as I watched the Orioles storm the field and celebrate being the spoiler of the Sox postseason, it all came rushing back. Aaron Boone. 2003. No World Series. Again. After the ball soared over the wall and the Yankees mobbed Boone as he crossed home plate, I locked myself in my college dorm room and wrote. I wrote how sad I felt so I could feel better. Just like I am writing this now.

And as I write this, I discover that I am a little thankful for last night. Boston fans have been spoiled with multiple championships across all sports and I think we've gotten used to winning so much that we half expect to just walk into the playoffs every year. The Red Sox had to work for it (obviously not hard enough) this time and for the first time in seven years, I was on the edge of my seat. I've been plenty nervous many times since 2004, but this was different. I can't really explain it, but baseball was once again exciting, albeit heart-breaking, and it felt like the old days.

The magic has worn off (I mean, really-- we lost on what should have been the last strike of the game and the Rays overcame a 7-0 Yankee lead in Game 162). Fate has spoken, we are no longer the favorite son.

I guess that's what us Red Sox fans feel comfortable identifying with--pain, suffering, disappointment. I feel like after last night, Red Sox Nation (a post-2004 creation) will lose some of its entitlement for titles and true baseball fans will stick around. Maybe after last night Boston Red Sox fans will wear more navy and red and less pink.

After last night, I feel a change is coming in Boston. Red Sox fans have spent years bonding over heartbreak and disappointment and had a chance to spend a few years celebrating success together. Now, more than ever, it's important to stick together. And I could care less if the bandwagon becomes unhitched in the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment