Sunday, October 2, 2011

Not So Fun Run

I've decided that training for a half marathon is like a job. It takes all of the fun out of a hobby from which I used to get so much pleasure.

I love writing, but now that I do it for a living, sometimes it's way less fun. The writing itself is still something I love to do, but it also comes with the requirement of sitting at a computer from 8:30 a.m.- 5 p.m., taking orders from people I don't like, dealing with bosses and dull assignments, and I'm assuming one day carpal tunnel syndrome.

I know about that saying, it's called work because it's a job and not necessarily fun. Same goes with training for a half marathon. It's hard work. Planning out my running schedule and mileage on a weekly basis, fitting it all in whether I'm feeling up for it or not, pushing myself to meet a certain time each run--it takes the fun out of running for me.

I fell in love with running because I could lace up my sneakers, put on some music and just run. I wasn't timing myself and I could run for as little or as much as I wanted. What was once therapeutic is now stressful for me. The timing and distance requirements are like an annoying boss who micromanages my every move on every project. I just have to deal with said boss like an annoying blister. The only way to avoid each is to take extra special precautions in every situation, even if it takes a little extra time. Wearing the right socks, slathering on some Vaseline pre-run, keeping a positive "I can do this" attitude. It's hard work.

But in the end, it's (usually) always worth it.

Like George Michael sang in "Freedom '90!": "Well it looks like the road to heaven, but it feels like the road to hell." I get what George is saying. I'm training for my second half marathon because I loved the feeling of accomplishment and pride I had after I crossed the finish line, the same feeling I get when I see an article I wrote in print or a good-looking electronic newsletter in my coworkers' in-boxes. In those moments I seem to forget the road to hell I just went through and it fuels me to come back for more.

And on those days when it's not worth it and it only feels like the road to hell, I guess I should listen to George again and just have a little "faith." If anything, I can listen to the song because it has a fun beat and makes me tap my foot...

I guess I should end this post before I quote any more George Michael. Freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment