Thursday, October 27, 2011

Food for Thought

Just a couple of thoughts from this week:

Thought 1: Just because it's free, doesn't mean you should eat it.

This entire week, Cosi has been giving out free food and treats as a housewarming promotion. I've gotten used to passing up muffins, squagels (square bagels) and slices of amazing bread, but it's never easy--especially when it's free. Yesterday morning, Cosi was giving away free one-topping oatmeal and I thought "finally, something something I can get!" But I looked up the calories for the green light, and to my dismay, discovered it was nearly 100 more calories than the oatmeal I bring for breakfast every day. Making the responsible decision, I passed up the free oatmeal. Now, the pastries and apple strudel sitting in the kitchen yesterday afternoon were a different story (I may have had a slice... but went for a run when I got home to make up for it).

Thought 2: Following the serving amount on the label means less trips to the grocery store.

Serving sizes are there for a reason, but for some reason I never liked to pay attention. This weekend I made rice and re-fried black beans and measured out each serving before putting it on my plate. This is the first time I've made this since my diet adventure began and in the past I'd go through a container of rice and can of re-fried beans in two sittings. This time, because I measured properly and rationed out according to serving, it lasted me four meals. I've noticed this trend with cereal, yogurt, pasta, sauce and vegetables (although I still eyeball those because over-serving myself broccoli can only help me). Measuring not only saves my waistline, but also money and trips to the grocery store. Now those are good reasons to pay attention to serving sizes.

Thought 3: I miss my favorite measuring instrument.

My skinny pants. Remember those? I used to use them as a measuring tool-- the lighter the waistline outline was on my stomach, the more I knew I was shrinking. About six months ago I bent down and split them right up the back. They were from freshman year of college, so I figured it was coming. Maybe it's time to get some new pants... and if I'm a size smaller, that might be a good new measuring tool.

That's all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment