Thursday, September 8, 2011

That's a Latte Calories!

What's the difference between Dunkin' Donuts pumpkin coffee/ pumpkin latte and a Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte?

Besides a couple bucks... nothing!

Well, and the fact that Starbucks' version tastes like heaven in a cup and Dunkin' Donuts still manages to make theirs taste like a watered down copycat. However, the calories are the exact same: 260 for a medium with skim milk.

The last couple fall seasons I thought I was saving money and calories by going with the DD pumpkin coffee. I knew there was syrup in it for flavor but never ever considered it contained nearly 300 calories. No wonder I've been tipping the scales--this isn't the first time I've been surprised with the number of calories there was in something I had been eating.

I knew I'd be in trouble this fall when the pumpkin spice latte came out and didn't fit into my diet. The pumpkin-themed drinks hit the stores this week, and because the weather was so fall-like, I couldn't resist the craving for one. So I looked up the calories in the DD coffee--certain this would be a suitable alternative--and was shocked to find that the Starbucks drink, if ordered correctly, would be the better treat. A tall (12 oz.) with skim milk and no whipped cream is 200 calories.

The second I got the drink, my entire week improved. It smelled like fall and holding the warm drink in my hand felt like a big comfy sweater. Then I tasted it. Heaven. It was certainly worth every single calorie. And the extra money.

No comments:

Post a Comment