Saturday, September 17, 2011

Walking to End Alzheimer's

Hate is a strong word. But I hate Alzheimer’s.

In the last decade, I have not only lost two grandparents, but was forced to watch as they slowly suffered from Alzheimer’s disease.

Watching someone you love gradually disappear physically and cognitively is a painful, prolonged process. While it was hard enough for me to handle, I saw what it did to my parents as they watched their mother and father forget their names and eventually lose all recognition of who they were.

I never want to have to witness this or watch my parents suffer in this way. That is why I have joined a team to fight this awful disease and hopefully someday find a cure. Anything you can give means so much to me, to my family and to my Papa and Nana who both lost a hard-fought battle with Alzheimer’s.

This is why when I found out my friend, Terron, started the Mae Bell Foundation in honor of his grandmother he lost to Alzheimer's ten years ago, I wanted to get as much involved as possible. I started with joining his team and raising money for the Walk to End Alzheimer's, which is tomorrow.

Throughout this process, I have realized that this cause is even closer to my heart than I originally thought. There have been several times when I've talked to people about my Nana and Papa and every time I've gotten choked up remembering their unfortunate exit from this world. Hearing my grandfather remember the German he learned during the war but not our names. Or see my Nana slumped over in her chair speaking gibberish, but always with her fingernails painted. I guess I've blocked out their deaths because it's easier than reliving and remembering the pain.

It's been an emotional month, but I think it's been a good thing for me. It's given me a sense of purpose, that I can help make a difference. It's not like when I raised money running with Tedy's Team--then I just wanted to jacket. This time, I just want a cure. I would like to give a special thanks to all those who contributed to our team and the cause--your support means so much, and not just money-wise.

I will be walking in memory of my Nana and Papa tomorrow, but thinking of them every day for the rest of my life. A life that hopefully someday will not include Alzheimer’s disease. Love you and miss you always.

No comments:

Post a Comment