Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Mind on the Run

I feel like I have officially been inducted into the unofficial running club of Chicago.

I went for a run to clear my frustrated head on Saturday afternoon, hoping to come back with a positive mental attitude (PMA) and the mindset to tackle some more schoolwork. While running on Clark through Wrigleyville, I found what I was looking for: a fellow runner hi-fived me as we passed each other.

The grumpy, agitated feelings fell off my being as soon as our hands hit. A smile crossed my face as I began to feel the surge of positive energy seep through my pores. I ran by the shoppers and hungover brunch seekers with purpose. I had been acknowledged for my commitment to running and couldn't fail my new reputation.

OK, maybe I'm being a little dramatic about the unofficial running club thing... but I suddenly felt like I was a part of an unspoken kinship. Kind of like when fellow Jeep owners beep at each other as they pass. I get bored when I run, and thinking of this in my head helped push me to keep running (I stopped for a walking break a few blocks later).

If anything, my fellow runner's kindness made my day. That is until I got home. But we'll save that for another post.

No comments:

Post a Comment