Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Going Bull-istic

Tonight was a milestone evening for me. I attended my first NBA game in which there were no green and white colors on the court. Actually, now that I think about it, it was the first any game I've been to without green and white involved... those were my high school colors and the only Clark games I ever really attended were when my cousin's team came to town: the green and white clad Babson Beavers.

I felt dirty. Like a cheater. A sneak. I spent the evening with the Chicago Bulls and the Detroit Pistons. And missed my beloved Boston Celtics very, very much.
Photo: Elli, Laura and me hanging out with Joakim Noah after the game.
-There was no one to laugh at me when I yelled "It's working!!" as the noise meter started to gradually increase. Well, Elli did but it just wasn't the same as when Lissa would roll her eyes and crumble in her seat from laughter. Every time. It never got old!
-I couldn't make fun of the dancers because they never really danced, and when they did, they weren't half bad. Although my roommates and I will never forgive them for the fishnet shirts they donned in the first quarter.

-I couldn't fully enjoy the home team's 120-87 rout of the visitor because it wasn't my team draining three's and nailing jumpers out there. I can't fully cheer yet for a team that nearly beat us in the playoffs last year. They are still the enemy even though I now share their zip code.

Despite these few things, there were some very enjoyable parts of the night (other than the fabulous company I was with). I will enjoy the free Big Mac I won because the Bulls scored 100+ points, as well as the free gallon of water from some Springs company, Dunkin' Donuts bagel, free breadsticks from some pizza joint and 25% off an accessory at Verizon because I had a lucky booklet and my cards all matched the winners of the jumbotron challenges during the breaks (when you walk in, you get a little booklet so you can follow the promotional games during the break, and if you're card wins like when Big Bagel beats out the Donut and Cuppy Coffee in a foot race, you can redeem the cards for prizes at the respective stores).

I also enjoyed "The Matadors," a group of 300-400 lb. men dancing along to songs like "I'm Too Sexy" and other provocative tunes during a break in the third quarter.

I looked on the Bulls schedule and squealed to myself because they tip off in Boston on Thursday... then pouted because I realized I will miss the match up because I have class. I might just wear my Rondo jersey, even though Chicagoans are convinced Rondo is a "punk" because he "punched Brad Miller" and "elbowed Kirk Hinrich into the scorer's table" during the playoffs last year. The dirty looks will make up for the game I'm missing. Green and White forever baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment