Friday, August 12, 2011

Race Expo Adventures


On Friday afternoon, my coworker Kristin (who can no longer run the race due to injury) and I headed over the the Rock 'n' Roll expo to pick up our stuff... it turned into a three-hour adventure mostly because the convention center is way south and accessible best by car, barely by bus.

Despite the journey to get there, we picked a good time to go, as it wasn't as crowded as it would have been after work or all of tomorrow. I hate crowds and it would have been a losing battle trying to browse the vendors and displays with all of those people (aka not enough freebies and samples to go around).

After we picked up our numbers and swag bags, we decided to hit up the booths. Of course I had to walk around to all of them and see what they had--whether it was a free sample or a pamphlet. I blame this habit on too many RV and camping shows growing up in which me and my sister would have to collect a brochure from every trailer on display. We'd count them and compare them when we got home. At least this time I got to go home with a stash of granola packets and energy bar samples rather than a measly pile of glossy papers.

Kristin was excited for my first expo experience and insisted we take some funny pics in front of different displays. We even dragged her husband in on one of them.

The expo did get me more excited to run the race. After letting loose with some inflatable guitars and sampling some yummy (and so not-so-yummy) protein bars, I realized that worrying isn't going to make me run faster and finish the race. If I can just relax, I may be able to have a little bit of fun, and eat my granola, too.

(That's me practicing my finish line pose. Seeing the picture made me realize how rewarding finishing will feel... hopefully I'll look as graceful after 13.1 miles)

No comments:

Post a Comment