Thursday, August 25, 2011

13.1: The Sequel

I must be crazy--not because I do Bikram Yoga twice a week or because I just ordered a shipment of chick flicks from Amazon. I must be crazy because I just signed up to run another half marathon.

Yes, you read that right. I'm going back for more.

This week, my friend Erin and I registered for the Amica Marathon (we're doing the half option) in beautiful Newport, RI on October 16. Erin, who has run marathons and completed a couple triathlons in the past, and I had been discussing perhaps running a destination half marathon somewhere neither of us had ever been. Because of timing, training schedules and work, the Newport half marathon worked out perfectly. I padded the race weekend with a couple extra days to visit family, friends and two newborn bundles of joy.

We're both signed up to run, my plane ticket is booked, and Erin just reserved a room for us at the Viking Hotel in downtown Newport. I'm more excited for the visit and the experience than the run itself, but I'll use the good vibes to push through another grueling training schedule. Maybe it will be easier the second time around. I look back and remember how much I hated going out for the long runs and second guess my decision to do this--then I think about running along the ocean on a beautiful fall day on the East Coast and the smile creeps across my face, pushing down the groan building in my throat.

Most people would consider me crazy. But I can't wait--for the race or my chick flicks to get here.

No comments:

Post a Comment