Monday, August 8, 2011

Bikram Gets a Second Chance and I Win

You know that saying, "the second time around is always better" or something like that? Well, that can be applicable to my second experience with Bikram Yoga.

On Friday I decided to give it another shot and am so glad I did. I went in with a totally different mindset, mostly because I knew exactly what I was getting into. Maybe it was because I was more prepared or because the class size was smaller, but whatever it was, the second time around was much more enjoyable.

During class, I practiced my breathing and embraced the heat rather than let the room steal my mind. I concentrated on each pose rather than how much time was left in class. Before I knew it, 90 minutes had come and gone and I didn't even take one break. It was still very hard and challenging, but in a good--not torturous--way this time. I pushed myself even more this time with each stretch (my hamstrings are still paying for it).

I am hoping the third time's the charm tonight as I'm going to sweat it all out again with another class. My half marathon is on Sunday and it's supposed to be a week of less intense cross-training and tapering workouts, so I'll loosen up tonight and do a couple short runs this week to keep my body warm. I think I'm still in denial about the half marathon being just six days away...

On a side note, if it is humid and hot on race day I think my Bikram experience will help. I ran in 88 percent humidity and heat yesterday and was less miserable than I have been before running in similar weather. Maybe spending 90 quality minutes in 105-110 degree heat is paying other dividends!

No comments:

Post a Comment