Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Summer Sacrifices

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has this problem, but it's happening. As the mercury rises in the thermometer, the needle on the scale follows suit.

I checked in for my weekly Wednesday weigh-in and was harshly greeted with a higher number than last week. While I was disappointed, I wasn't very surprised. Since the weather has been so nice, I've been out socializing more with friends and making the most of these few months of beautiful weather we get. I find that these meet ups and days-turned-into-nights out are refreshing and make me feel more alive and connected to the city after spending so long in hibernation avoiding the winter cold and spring rains. And I live in a pretty cool city with tons things to do, see and eat during the summer months.

I mean, how can you resist sipping strawberry margaritas on a patio while soaking up the sun? Or trips to get frozen custard on a hot summer night? Or cheeseburgers fresh off the grill?

You can't. I can't. It's official: We're in the no-potato-salad-left-behind season.

I feel like every social event during this particular season is booby-trapped with high-calorie snacks and treats. If I want to hang out with friends, it seems I'll need to budget for 500 extra calories per rendezvous. As I experienced this week, no matter how strong my will power has been during the last few months, it wilts under the pressure of the summer sun. I've minded my portions but have allowed myself to stray too far from the diet path and ultimately into the red.

I could feel the scale judging me this morning. If it could talk it would have said "I told you so." It was a much needed wake-up call to force me to get my eating and drinking habits as of late under control. It's going to require adjusting and realizing that this summer can't be like other summers and the fun I have can't always be connected to food. It's going to be hard to sit there and listen to my friends ride me for not drinking or watch as they stuff nachos and hot dogs into their mouths as I sit drooling and envious. When someone passes me the chips and salsa, I'll have to turn it down. What a bummer summer.

There will certainly have to be exceptions, but not many. I'll have to keep telling myself even more frequently now that it will all be worth it later. Like when I look at my bikini body in the mirror, and for the first time in my life not cringe at what I see. I know that frolicking on the beach with confidence will be more fun than a second margarita on that sunny patio. That's when it will all be worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment