Monday, June 20, 2011

Magically Delicious--and Dangerous

It's official. I can't have any treats in the house.

During my last trip to Target I thought I should be allowed to buy a box of Marshmallow Treasures (aka their version of Lucky Charms). They would serve as a healthier dessert or after-dinner snack to sate my sweet tooth when it attacked. I put them in my cart along with a promise to myself that I would not binge on the marshmallow treats. Whenever I used to buy them in the past, I would fill a deep cereal bowl to the tippity top and eat the entire thing amd repeat the process every day until they were gone. I finally had to stop buying them because I would go through a box in just a few days. Same goes for Goldfish crackers and licorice--I just have no restraint.

Well, despite my efforts to change my eating habits over the last few months, I realized last night that some things don't ever change. While I have been mindful of serving sizes and measuring exactly one cup worth of the Treasures (sometimes a little extra), I still can't get enough of them. Whenever I remember I have them in the pantry, it is all I can think about and I must immediately eat them, whether I'm hungry or not.

Last night I was still full from dinner and could have survived without a snack before bed. But then the light bulb went off and I remembered I had Treasures waiting for me. I tried to resist the idea of eating them, telling my stomach I was not hungry and didn't need to eat them. I drank Crystal Light and chewed gum. In the end, the Treasures won and I indulged in one cup of the oats and marshmallows.

After I polished off the bowl, I told myself I could not buy another box until I got my craving under control. I have learned to count out 60 Goldfish instead of eating half of a bag in one sitting, so there is still hope for the Marshmallow Treasures. At 120 calories a serving, it's a good little snack with some protein and fiber, even better if I add milk. However, until I can learn to control myself and bury my craving for these Treasures, I can't have them in the house. They're magically delicious and equally as dangerous!

No comments:

Post a Comment