Thursday, December 3, 2009

Just Like the Ones I Used to Know...

Yesterday, I ventured out with the purpose of taking a ride on the CTA's Holiday Train. Several hours later, I had soaked up enough Christmas spirit in my travels to last all season.


Every year, the Chicago Transport Authority (CTA), operator of the El trains, decorate an entire El with Christmas lights, garland and bows and blast Christmas music for riders to enjoy. An entire car is replaced with an open platform on which Santa sits in a sleigh waving to passengers waiting on the platform to board the train. After studying the Holiday train schedule (it only comes at certain times on certain days and switches colors/lines ever week), I picked yesterday as the day to hitch a ride. I waited in the wind and cold for the train to come, and it was worth every second. The train was awesome and I smiled and laughed the entire ride downtown. "Santa's Express" as the train is called, was not only decked out on the exterior, but on the inside as well: there hung garland, lights, red bows and even the seat cushions were replaced with Santa pattern seats. The poles you hold on to were striped like candy canes. Sprinkled among the advertisements were humorous holiday jokes, like this one: "Why did the Gingerbread man go to the doctor?" Answer: Because he was feeling crummy! (boy, can I relate to that Gingerbread man...) and this one: "What is an Elf's favorite lunch at the North Pole?" Answer: a brrr grr.

Once I got downtown, I walked down State Street in the direction of Macy's and stumbled upon the city's tree in Daley Plaza. That was on my list of things to find this week, and I was proud of myself for finding it! Not only did I get to see the tree, but in the Plaza was Christkindlmarket Chicago; a traditional German celebration of the holiday season. The area was filled with little wooden huts and shops draped with clear lights and boasting German food and crafts. I bought a ceramic boot (decorated and dated) mug filled with Gluhweim, a hot, spiced wine. It was delicious and I now have a souvenir mug, shaped as a boot to remember the day by. While drinking out of my boot, I met a few German women who told me how this festival and little village is an actual event around Christmas in Germany, but much larger than Chicago's miniature version. Kind of like Oktoberfest, but a Christmas version.
After I finished my Gluhweim, I headed over to Marshall Field, now Macy's, to check out the window display. Apparently this is a big Chicago holiday attraction and each year the window display tells a different story. Of course, I did not realize this until I was almost at the end and it dawned on me that the windows were telling the story of how a letter gets from a child writing it all the way to Santa's hands at the North Pole. So, I started from the beginning and it made much more sense the second time around :) It was very cute, and the figures in the scenes were very life-like (minus to robot guys).

When I was done sightseeing, I was in such a festive mood and full of Christmas cheer. Buddy the Elf would have been very impressed. This weekend my roommate said she would go ice skating with me in Millennium Park and I'm pumped. It will make my Chicago Christmas experience complete before I head back home next Thursday.

One thing I am proud of as I recall my Christmas experience, is that Chicago isn't afraid to put Santa out on an El or a giant Nativity Set in Daley Plaza or seat cushions with Santa's image on their train chairs (granted it's a part time train, but still). Christ and Christmas are alive and well in the Windy City. For an entire afternoon, I forgot about being politically correct and was able to enjoy the holiday season in the way I used to love celebrating it: without judgement or a gag order. The streets downtown are lined with trees covered in blue lights, which embrace Hanukkah and the Jewish faith and I'm sure there is a menorah somewhere in the city. The sign next to this Nativity read: "This private Nativity scene is made possible each year by the donations of those who wish to keep Christ in Christmas." I was glad the city has an open enough mind to let this group set up the scene.
In my opinion, everyone should be able to celebrate the holiday the way they believe and prefer without passing judgement on other faiths or traditions. I think society has become a little too sensitive when it comes to holiday greetings and celebrations. Yesterday afternoon I was able to do that; and more than the twinkling lights and the warm wine and the sight of the Nativity, I enjoyed that feeling the most.

If you would like to see many more pictures of my holiday adventure downtown, I have posted them on Facebook for all to see! If you don't have Facebook and would like to see more, let me know and I can email them.

No comments:

Post a Comment