Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Christmas Time Is Here...


It's certainly Christmas season on Diversey Parkway... especially in our apartment. Elli and I ventured to Target on Saturday to get a tree; after some sidewalk research, a.k.a stopping a man with a real tree slung over his shoulder to ask how much his tree cost, we opted to get a fake tree. We found one on sale, but had to return Sunday after a fleet of trucks came to replenish the stock of the tree we had our sights set on. Or so we thought... there were no trees when we got there! After a brief window of panic, we found our second choice sitting on a back wall. It said Canadian Fir, but wrong box number. Holding our breaths, we scanned the price and when it came up $24.99, our Christmas was bright once again. I looked at my roommate and exclaimed that I needed to hug her. And I did. People were staring, but they didn't realize that this tree discovery made our day. Success in hand, we bought the trimmings and headed home.

That afternoon, the three of us listened to Christmas music and decorated the house on a rainy Sunday. Elli wished it was snowing to make the mood even more festive. Laura set up her nativity set; I assembled our mini stockings; and we all decorated the tree, which is set up in the window for all to see when they pass by (it looks fantastic, I've seen it). We used 24 candy canes to fill the spots we didn't have ornaments for... I've already eaten three of them. Yum. If we need more decorations, I told Elli we could string up the microwave Kettle corn she has and dislikes, but it looks pretty cool the way it is now. Unless I keep eating all of the candy canes... then we're in trouble!

The tree is lit and the stockings are hung by the chimney with care... they are so small it's kind of funny to look at them hanging on the mantle. I feel so relaxed as I sit with the lights off, basking in the twinkling glow of the tree, and anxiously await the start of Charlie Brown Christmas. This really is the most wonderful time of the year!

No comments:

Post a Comment