Monday, October 26, 2009

Halloween and American Culture

So I was sitting at the Corner Bakery downtown the other day eating my linner (the timing of my classes make it impossible to eat at normal times during the week.. too late for lunch, too early for dinner.. so I combine them). Anyways, I couldn't help but overhear the conversation going on next to me. There was a group of people sitting together, and upon further inspection, I eventually realized it was a group of international students from the Kaplan building around the corner, accompanied by their instructor/guide. The guide was attempting to explain the American "holiday" of Halloween to them, and the highlights of Halloween in this city. What caught my attention--and brought on a case of full eavesdropping--was when she began suggesting costume choices and plans to the students.

"A lot of girls go as sexy french maids, with short skirts (hand skimming the very top of her thigh in an attempt to demonstrate "skirt")," she said, "Or a sexy devil..." The list of recommendations continued, but what induced a giggle out of me in the corner was the fact that every costume she suggested had the word "sexy" in it.

Gone are the days of Halloween as a string of candy-infested, costume-contest fun events. The day has now become a competition of sexiness and sluttyness and who can wear the least amount of clothes. Kids can't even bob for apples anymore without fear of catching H1N1 or some other form of cooties, and I'm afraid to even mention the game fearing it might have a very different connotation at my age... my roommate just told me of a party this weekend that gives a prize to the "sexiest" costume. I can't imagine what kinds of contests will be going on at the bars this weekend, but I will be sure to share.

I sat there in the corner, munching on my turkey sandwich, and contemplating how strange this holiday must seem to an international student. For one night, most women leave their clothes--and their self-respect--at home and transform into someone they would never fathom mimicking except in their wildest dreams. Not only is this behavior considered okay, it's wildly encouraged. Especially here in Chicago-- I have been told by numerous people that Halloween and St. Patrick's Day are the two biggest days here, and if I was planning on dressing up, I better make it "sexy." I hate wearing bathing suits at the beach... I highly doubt I will be prancing around in my underwear on a late October night.

I've home-made my costume this year-- I will post pictures on Sunday, and don't worry Dad, I'm all covered up! Now those poor international students from the Corner Bakery might be in a different boat... Welcome to the good ol' USA. Halloween is merely a reflection of American culture, and pretty much the only aspect of it that actually embodies (literally) and enforces the "less is more" idea. Now if only fast-food and corporate America would catch on...

Trick or Treat!

2 comments:

  1. I hear you on the Halloween thing! I, like most female co-eds fell into the "sexy" Halloween thing for years...and I am DONE with it. Why do I have to show off parts of my body that shouldn't be hanging out in 30 degree weather and get obliterated on Halloween to have fun?

    I'm going for pj's and passing out Halloween candy to little batmans and princesses this year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am excited to break the trend and am actually making myself severely unattractive! :) Zane and Julie are transforming into Bret and Jemaine from Flight of the Conchords! Pics will def be on our blog. I can't wait to see what you chose!

    ReplyDelete