Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Green With Envy...and Homesickness

Sometimes it's funny how things work out.

I was bummed all day today because the Celtics season started and I was going to miss it. Just like I missed the Patriots season opener and every game thereafter. It was disheartening to realize I'd be missing another Boston sports season that has been a huge part of my life (shout out to my Celtics buddy Lissa!) for so many years. It's kind of a suffocating feeling, a little claustrophopic, like being stuck in an elevator with a bunch of fat, smelly or loud people... you have no control over it, you just have to deal with it because it's too late to get out. (Photo: Me and Lissa at the Celtics victory parade in 2008)

I considered wearing my Paul Pierce jersey to class tonight. However, I go to school with a lot of native Chicagoans, including my professor who is a huge sports fan, and I still wanted to have a chance of getting an A after tonight (considering the Celtics beat the Bulls in a hard-fought, seven-game, often controversial playoff series last spring). I did forget that the topic of this evening's class was sports journalism, which totally cheered me up. My jersey would have been appropriate, as my professor put on his Cubs hat to teach the class. We spent three hours learning about the history of media and sports like baseball, football and boxing. It was so awesome, best night of class yet! Worcester even got a shout out!! The professor mentioned it while discussing the roots of baseball and I giggled at his attempt to pronounce "Worcester" correctly. He didn't do too bad with it... however, he did try to give the White Sox credit for winning the 1918 World Series and I just had to correct him at the class break when I handed in my paper. We chatted for a little, I mentioned Worcester, and he was glad to learn I was very interested in sports. I'm totally getting an A now ;)

While I was missing the Celtics opener back home, I was reliving some of Boston and sports' greatest moments in class. And I had my friend who brings her computer to class glued to the internet for the updated score :) The mention of Worcester in class comforted me more than a hot cup of tea on a cold, rainy day. The world isn't so big sometimes, and we often just need little reminders of home to get us through the tough days.

Oh yeah, and GO CELTICS!! I may not be able to cheer in person, but I'll be glued to those online blog and score updates just like I am on Sundays to support the Patriots!

No comments:

Post a Comment