Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Bargains and Buses Don't Mix

Today I learned that while shopping for the best value can save you a few pennies, there is one exception to this practical idea: when you are shopping and traveling via public transportation.

I ventured to Target this afternoon to pick up a few necessities, including some groceries because I have been putting off going to the grocery store for so long that I ran out of food besides rice and peanut butter. Well, because I was raised to find the best bargain possible, I have a hard time resisting buying a larger portion for a better deal. For example... while the half gallon of milk was $1.49 an entire gallon was 50 cents more, so I got the gallon. And why would I buy a dozen eggs for $1.12 when I could purchase 18 of them for $1.27. And when something is 3 for $5 you usually get three. It's the rule of threes! Well, these upgrades saved me some money, but added a whole lot of hassle on the bus ride home. Please laugh at the following along with me as I remember:

-I bought a Brita because the old one was my roommate's and she moved out. The little sticky strap fell off while I was waiting for the bus, so I had to improvise and shove the oversize box into a bag that was previously being used as double-duty for my frozen foods. This must have looked funny to cars sitting at the red light in front of me as I unloaded and reloaded my bags, but thanks to some girl also waiting for the bus, we managed to make the switch.

-When I got on the bus, it was so crowded I kept hitting people with my bags. I fell into the handicapped-preferred seating because the bus driver guns it as soon as the last person steps into the car.

-Well, next stop I took the opportunity to move because I saw some older people getting on. I made my way through the crowd to the back of the bus and when some woman let me have her seat, I put my bags down and sat on my loaf of bread when Speedy the bus driver put the pedal to the metal.

I eventually made it home, and all the way I wondered to myself if I would have struggled as much with a dozen eggs, a half gallon of milk and one or two lean cuisine meals. I cursed myself for waiting so long to go shopping, and for being addicted to Target. However, having to depend on public transportation actually bodes well for me; it helps me spend less money and if I'm considering buying something, I have to picture myself walking home with it and that usually forces me to put it back on the shelf!

But this story has a happy ending, as I've already forgotten about the debacle, and will probably put myself in the same position next time. The thing about procrastination is that you never really learn your lesson. And we all know that I will never pass up saving a few bucks for a comfortable ride home. Besides, if I never sat on my bread you wouldn't have anything interesting to read! And FYI, not one single egg was broken in the adventure!

1 comment: