Thursday, August 22, 2013

Return of the Bookworm

I forgot how much I love to read.

When I was younger, I remember being such a bookworm.  If I wasn’t reading a book, I was attempting to write one.  During summer vacations, mom would take us to the library to get our summer reading books, and I’d always take out a few extra.  I remember one summer, the West Boylston library offered raffle tickets to kids for every book they read.  The walls were plastered with the great prizes like a Skip It and a bunch of other crap I’m sure my parents didn’t want hanging around.  I read so much that summer, I think I earned around 20 raffle tickets (we all know how easy it is to bribe me with things).   I wanted to win one of those damn prizes so badly– but I didn’t win a single thing! (Tiny disclosure: I do remember a few books being awful, so after a few chapters I skipped to the last one and read it until the end so I knew what happened.  Seeing I cheated a couple times, it’s probably best I didn’t win. You know, cheater cheater never beater.. or however it goes).

Although I didn’t get the Skip It, I was still a winner because the sneaky promotion only fed my love of reading. Sadly, somewhere along the line, my passion for the pages faded.  High school book reports became chores and I began to favor journalism over literature, which carried over into college. Nothing turned me off more from reading than my British Literature class and my three-hour long Shakespeare lecture. I hated it so much I tried to drop my English major senior year, but my advisor wouldn’t let me (Thank you, Fern Johnson!).  Once I graduated, I pretty much read nothing but magazines, save for the occasional book or two (and whatever was forced upon me in grad school).

Until yesterday.  I decided that after four years in this city, it was time to get a Chicago Public Library card. The first time I tried getting one, they asked me for a photo ID, some mail that was recently postmarked and a DNA sample. Ok, not a DNA sample but I was scarred by the experience and never went back.

Until yesterday.  It was much more pleasant experience this time. Maybe it was because I went to one of the branches in my neighborhood instead of the enormous, albeit gorgeous, building downtown with the gargoyles on top of it.  Within five minutes of arriving, I showed my proof of residency, signed a paper and was allowed access to the books upstairs.

It wasn’t until then that I realized I hadn’t been in a library for so long, I forgot how to use it!  I highly doubted that they had a card catalog, so I just walked up and down the aisles of books, grateful that it was well-lit with natural sunlight and didn’t smell like an old tomb.

After grabbing a couple books, I headed to get checked out.  I waited to get my card stamped with the due date, but everything is electronic now.  They scanned my books and printed me a receipt like I had just bought jeans and a t-shirt at the Gap.

I walked out the door proud because I had finally gotten my green (library) card.  And I kind of felt a little smarter, too.  As soon as I got home, I curled up on my big chair and started reading one of the books – and I didn’t put it down until way past my bedtime.  Although the book I was reading isn’t exactly War and Peace, it felt great to read instead of watch re-runs of Chopped and Castle like I usually do after work.

At this rate, I’ll be back to the library this weekend to get some more books.  Suggestions for good books are more than welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment