Thursday, August 22, 2013

Four Years ... Let's Celebrate with Pepto!

I’ve been in Chicago for four years this week.  Crazy how time flies.

I would have done something fun like toasted with some champagne except I spent the afternoon in the doctor’s office and was under strict orders not to drink alcohol or coffee.  No, I’m not pregnant – that would actually be impossible – I've just got severe acid reflux.

Monday night I woke up with severe chest pains and an intense burning in my throat.  I honestly thought I was having a heart attack. If there was pain in my left arm, I would have gone straight to the hospital.  After popping Pepto and three hours of wanting to cry, I was able to catch a few hours of sleep, sitting upright.  It’s hard to describe the feeling (I think I blocked it out), but it was one of the worst nights ever.  I’ve been lucky enough to never have acid reflux or heartburn before, so this sudden, intense pain was alarming.

I called the doctor as soon as they opened and made an appointment for that afternoon. I was still having the chest pressure, but not nearly as bad.  I started feeling a little stupid and that I might be overreacting about something lots of people get, but then I remember reading in my magazines that it’s better to be safe than sorry.  I didn’t want to be one of those girls on the pages who said she ignored the warning signs of a heart attack because it was only “acid reflux.” (The doctor told me later that severe acid reflux and a heart attack are often confused for each other, so I didn’t feel as dumb).

My “strong heart” passed all of her tests with flying colors, and I was sent away with a prescription.  I also left with an incredible peace of mind that was worth the entire visit. The pain has gone away, but the memory of how scary that episode was hasn’t.  Although I ended up with “just acid reflux,” I’m glad I followed up with a doctor so the next time it happens, I won’t panic. I’m just a 30-year-old woman with back pain, high cholesterol, dairy and corn intolerances and now acid reflux.  

Maybe on my fourth anniversary here, my heart was trying to send me a message -- life's short, where and what do you really want to be doing with your life? Guess that's something I have to think about, just not stress about, you know, so the acid doesn't come back to remind me to relax. 

To be continued ... 

No comments:

Post a Comment