Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Nothing says Christmas like some cookies

Embracing the holiday spirit has had me obsessed with the idea of making sugar cut-out cookies just like I've always made with my family. It was our tradition growing up, and as we've gotten older, I still insist on making them when I come home. My mom and dad (although I think he secretly enjoyed it) humored me and come Christmas we'd be stuck with dozens of sugar cookies coated in sprinkles that no one wanted to eat. They never have a chance next to the peppermint bark and chocolate magic cookies my mom makes.

Anyways, I convinced my friend Greg to make them with me this weekend. So on Sunday, after the Patriots game, I schlepped over to his apartment and we had at it. I got stuck with the job of rolling the dough (although in this case all we had was the smooth end of a mallet--my hand was killing me from the pointy side pressing against my hand) and cutting out the festive shapes. The entire time, I thought about how my parents got stuck with these same jobs every year, leaving us kids the fun part of decorating them, which we would tire of and quit halfway through, leaving them more to do.

By the time we were finished, we had 6 dozen cookies and, per tradition, no one to eat them. I had a few (and even more of the raw dough.. whoops!) but I just really wanted to make them more than I ever wanted to eat them. Looks like I'll be giving them away as some early Christmas presents! Except my traditional "Kim" cookie... which I always make with the leftover dough and slash my name in it with a butter knife and cover with sprinkles. I'll be eating that.

Special thanks to Greg for amusing me and to my Mom and Dad for putting up with us all those years in the name of tradition. And Mom, you're off the hook this year :)

No comments:

Post a Comment