Tuesday, July 12, 2011

The Skinny on Losing Weight

Over the last couple of days, a couple of people have told me I look wicked skinny. Well, maybe they didn't use the exact word "wicked" seeing we're in the Midwest and all, but they did use a modifying adjective like "so" or "super." Four months and 9.5 pounds ago, I would have rolled my eyes. But this time, I just smiled.

For as long as I can remember, I have never been placed in the "skinny girl" category. I've always had curves and belly fat and worn clothes in double-digit sizes. My sister was always the skinny one with the slender dancer's body. I had stubby legs and a pretty face.

In fact, just last fall I was at an event with a live band and requested a song from the lead singer, who in turn told me that instead of singing the song I had asked for, he was going to play "Brick House" because I was "indeed a brick house." At the time, I had no idea what that meant until my brother looked it up on Urban Dictionary--it basically means a thick and voluptuous woman: think Beyonce or J.Lo. I guess if I was as rich, as talented and as black as them it would work out for me, but as a white girl, it's not exactly a compliment.

I've always been my own worst critic, but for the the first time in my life, I'm starting to feel like the skinny girl. After losing 9.5 pounds and buying a dress in a size 10, I feel better about the way I look and a lot more confident.

My "a-ha" moment came after looking at the pictures from my friend's wedding this weekend and I actually looked at a photo of myself and smiled. And didn't delete it. It really is true--nothing tastes as good as skinny feels. I've been eating a lot less and smiling a whole lot more. Hearing my coworkers tell me that I look skinny is amazing and I'll take that over a candy bar any day.

No comments:

Post a Comment