Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Hats Off to Baseball


This week I realized that I have become a woman who wears many hats. Literally.

In the last eight days, I have worn three different baseball caps.

Sunday, April 4th:

Red Sox Opening Day! I rocked my Boston hat all day... wore it everywhere except to church (it didn't match the rest of my Easter attire). I also wore my Boston t-shirt, and when it got cold I put on my Red Sox zip up hoodie. I even went as far as celebrating the Red Sox opener by purchasing my first iced coffee of the season, from none other than Dunkin' Donuts!

Saturday, April 10th:

My friend who works for the White Sox hooked me and my roommate up with the best seats ever invented in a baseball stadium. Front row, to the left of home plate, next to the home dugout and right behind the White Sox on-deck circle. It was enough to tip my Chicago baseball fan scales in the direction of the South Side. You can really get to know the players intimately when you have the chance to stare at their rear-ends for three hours.


Monday, April 12th:

Yesterday was Opening Day at Wrigley Field. I threw on some blue and red clothing and my Cubs cap and headed down to the stadium to cover the event for RedEye Wrigleyville. I took photos of crazy Cub fans (one guy was dressed as a bush of ivy) and more traditional fans (I had the chance to talk to one of the few living people who has seen the Cubs in the World Series, which was 1945). You can check out the photo gallery I created for the website here. I promise it will be worth it!

I capped off (no pun intended) yesterday by watching the Red Sox take on the Twins on ESPN. That makes it three times I have been able to watch my Red Sox on either ESPN or ESPN2. I never realized how much the network loved the Sox and Sox/Yankees until I moved away and relied on their nightly cable programming for my Boston baseball fix. Now I understand why everyone from outside New England hates the Red Sox and Yankees: they monopolize the airwaves. Oh well, sounds like a homerun to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment