Monday, May 2, 2011

Eating on a Budget

When you have to count calories, it kind of ruins eating and makes it extremely frustrating. There have been many times when I've wondered how many calories are in my arm, because I just wanted to eat it off. Would it be any less calories than celery with peanut butter spread all over it? PB packs protein, but also plenty of calories. I read that the reduced-fat version is worse for you... there's a 10 calorie difference but they take out the good fat and replace it with bad sugars to lower the fat grams.

Healthy eating also usually requires spending more money on good foods like hummus, fresh fruit, vegetables and chicken. I have learned that processed foods are cheap for a reason. In the last month, I've been forced to get creative and in some cases, spend a little extra money on certain foods that prove to be worth beyond their monetary value.


Here are some things I've come up with to keep my diet both healthy and easy on the wallet.

More Exciting Vegetables
a. Baby carrots dipped in light Italian dressing. The dressing packs some flavor, but at 35 calories for one tablespoon, it doesn't take up too many calories.

b. I sprinkle Parmesan cheese over frozen broccoli. It just adds a little zip and kind of convinces you that you're eating something gourmet. One cup of the green stuff and a sprinkle of reduced-fat grated cheese is about 50 calories.

Crunchy and salty
a. 94 percent fat-free popcorn. I eat the whole bag. It's made with whole grains, come on!

Sweet tooth
a. Two tablespoons of lite Cool Whip is 20 calories. Four tablespoons, drizzled with a tablespoon of chocolate syrup, is a 90 calorie treat.

b. Semi-sweet chocolate chips are usually reserved for baking, but at 70 calories for 30 of them, I'm able to sate my sweet tooth without spending too many calories.

Bread
a. I spend an extra dollar to get a loaf of light wheat bread with flax seed in place of regular wheat bread. Two slices of the light equals one regular. This makes it a lot easier when it comes to eating things that require bread like PB & J sandwiches or a veggie burger.

b. A slice of this bread sprinkled with a cinnamon-Splenda concoction (hold the butter- the sugar still stays on if you keep the toast straight) is a 40 calorie addition to my oatmeal in the morning.

Meat
a. Make no mistake, my obsession with Man Food like hamburgers has suffered. However, thanks to Morningstar Griller Originals, I get the taste of a hamburger in veggie burger form (wow, I just sounded like a commercial). This is an instance in which it is well worth the money-- about $3.50 for a four pack and they cost just 120 calories. Easy on the ketchup (more sugar, more calories), heavy on the mustard and relish (basically 0 calories unless used in extreme excess).

b. Morningstar also has a Spicy Black Bean burger that is delicious. Topped with a pinch of skim mozzarella cheese (35 calories for 1/8 cup --I don't even use half that) and some mustard (maybe a little ketchup depending on the day), this is a treat for the taste buds.

c. Target's frozen chicken is one of my freezer staples. I've started dousing it in Tony's Creole seasoning and sauteing it in a frying pan with a little olive oil. The robust flavor and zing make up for the bland salad I pair it with. I mix in a little bit of light Italian dressing and if tossed thoroughly, the salad tastes a little like flavor fireworks in your mouth.

I haven't figured out the whole french fry part, but I keep learning as I go. If I ever figure it out, although I'm guessing this is one case where a substitute just won't replace the original, I'll let you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment