Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Year Two Begins

Last Friday, I celebrated my one year anniversary living in Chicago. It's been an interesting and challenging year, but also one of the best of my life. I've met so many great people here and have had so many amazing experiences, I can't imagine what my life would be like if I hadn't made this move.

I've learned many lessons, the most important being that I proved to myself that I can live on my own, away from my tight-knit support system of family and friends back home. However, I could have never made it through these last 365 days without all of you--friends and family both old and new, or should I say East Coast and Midwest. To those of you who helped calm me down when I was bawling my eyes out on the phone, begging to come home... thank you a million times. You know who you are. I love you all. Thank you for supporting me so far in this journey.

After celebrating this milestone--which I joked is the longest relationship I've had in a long time-with some drinks on Friday, it was time to kick off my second year in the Second City with a bang. Or a rooftop pool.

On Saturday, my roommate Elli had a couple guest passes to her gym and took Laura and me along with her to the rooftop pool. This gym is known as a very fancy and expensive gym so I knew the rooftop pool would be gorgeous. It kind of reminded me of my time in Puerto Rico, with the pretty flowering plants and poolside bar and grill. Needless to say, it was very relaxing.

This was a great way to spend the afternoon and an even better way to kick off Year Two. As I lay back on the lounge chair and looked at the scene around me, a smile crept across my face. The sun was shining and I had a spectacular view of the Chicago skyline. After a summer filled with homesickness, I was reminded of how much I love this city and what a great life I have here when I'm not sulking and pining for home.

I've had a great time this last year, and can't wait to see what the next one will bring. Hopefully a lot less crying, a lot more smiling and a few more visits to that rooftop pool.

No comments:

Post a Comment